Portage Pool is operated by Lac La Biche County and is located in the rear parking lot of Portage College’s Lac La Biche campus.
The main pool is a five-lane 25 metre pool with a shallow end (1 metre) and a deep end (2.5 meters). The temperature is maintained between 29-31° C. The maximum number of swimmers allowed in the main pool at one time is 152.
The main pool can be accessed using the Easy Ladder for anyone with accessibility needs: feel free to ask a lifeguard on deck for assistance. Other features of the main pool include:
- A one-metre springboard
- Slide in the shallow end
- Swing rope in the deep end
The whirl pool is 0.9 meters in depth and can hold up to 25 bathers at a time. The whirl pool temperature will not exceed 40° C.
The wading pool has a graduated entryway as well as steps. The wading pool has a children’s yellow slide and a variety of toys for learning and playing.
A wet steam room maintained at approximately 50° C is available on the pool deck during public swim times only. Maximum of 17 users at a time.
Portage Pool has two gendered main change rooms containing showers, toilet stalls, and both day-use and rent-able lockers. Baby changing tables are available in all change room and washrooms.
Admission and Supervision Rules
- Children ages 6 and under must be accompanied in the pool at all times by a responsible person, and remain within arms’ reach of that individual at all times.
- Individuals ages 7-11 must have a responsible person present in the facility at all times.
- Everyone must take a shower using soap and warm water before entering the pool.
- Diving is not allowed in the wading pool, whirl pool, or in the shallow end of the main pool.
- No food, gum, or drinks other than water are allowed in the change rooms or the pool area.
- Glass containers or bottles are not allowed in the change rooms or the pool area.
- No person shall spit, spout water, defecate, urinate, or otherwise pollute the pool water.
- Anyone with communicable diseases, open sores, or infections are not to use the facility.
- Anyone on medications for high blood pressure, heart conditions, or other medical conditions must speak with a doctor before using the whirl pool or steam room.
- Swimmers must wear clean swimwear intended for use in the pool, and not street clothing.
- Any person with incontinence or diarrhea over the previous two weeks must not enter the pool.
- Please practice proper hygiene when using washroom facilities.
- Street shoes are not to be worn in the viewing area, change rooms, or pool deck area.
- Guests who are intoxicated with drugs or alcohol will be asked to leave.
- Swearing, foul language, racist and/or bigoted language, and bullying are not allowed in the facility.
- Aquafit belts are not allowed to be used by non-swimmers as a substitute for an approved PFD.
- It is strongly recommended that anyone with medical conditions disclose their condition privately to a lifeguard.
- Animals are not permitted in the facility (with the exception of registered service animals).
- Swimmers are not allowed to use the start blocks during lane swim or public swim.
- Children aged 7 and over must use the change room that corresponds with their gender identity; families may change together using the family change room.
- Aggressive play is not allowed on the premises. This includes, but is not limited to pushing, dunking, play-fighting, throwing another swimmer, and sitting on the shoulders of another swimmer.
- Lockers are for day use only and all personal belongings must be removed at the end of your swim.
- Portage Pool is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
- A bicycle rack is available outside the facility, to the right of the accessibility ramp.
This list is not exhaustive and Portage Pool lifeguards will use their discretion in enforcing pool rules to ensure the safety of all guests on the premises. Call the front desk with specific questions about our facility rules and guidelines.