National Drowning Prevention Week (NDPW) is celebrated each year to remind Canadians that drowining and other water-related incidents are generally preventable.
To honour drowning prevention this year, Portage Pool has put together a few activities throughout the week including a colouring contest, lifeguard demonstrattions, free Swim to Survive, and more!
Key Messages This Year
- If you’re not within arms’ reach, you’ve gone too far. Always supervise children.
- Boat sober. Alcohol consumption is a factor in almost 40% of boating-related fatalities.
- Choose It. Use It. Always wear a Lifejacket or PFD. Lifejackets don’t work if you don’t wear them.
- Not wearing a Lifejacket or PFD was a factor in 82% of boating deaths.
- Approximately 500 Canadians die in preventable water-related incidents annually. Even one drowning is one too many.
Check out the schedule of events below. Keep in mind that these might be changed or cancelled with no notice. Follow us on Facebook or give us a call for the most up to date information!